Grinding up coffee beans might be one of the most single-handedly underrated parts of making coffee. It’s loud. It gets messy. Grinding is not going to be quick as just pouring from a bag. There’s no way around that. Coffee beans and coffee grinds are very different, so the step that turns one into the other is crucial and what makes grinders more notable. We’re here not just to emphasize that fact but help you grind your coffee with the best —and (most importantly) cheaper grinders.
Why Should Coffee Be Ground Fresh?
It is common practice to buy a bag of pre-ground coffee. That’s convenient and what a lot of grocery store coffee aisles have to offer, and even coffee shops will kindly offer to grind coffee for you before you take just the bag of beans home. We cannot blame you for getting into the habit of doing this, but it might be time to switch things up. You may not even have realized that there were ways around this.
It is once you get in the habit of buying full beans and grinding them at home that you can get the most flavor out of your coffee because it is just 15 minutes after the beans are ground that they begin to lose that flavor and aroma that you want from your coffee. That might be quicker than your drive home from your local coffee shop.
Where To Invest Your Money in Making Your Coffee
The following grinders are on the cheaper end of the spectrum, which is about $150 and under, but we do not necessarily recommend cheap on this part of the brewing process. We more so recommend these as a stepping stone until you are in a place to buy something more excellent. Also, a cheaper grinder can leave a bit more of a mess so be wary of that!
In the long run, investing in a grinder will save you money. You will enjoy your homemade coffee so much more than the coffee made in coffee shops, which all use fresh ground coffee. It all adds up over time to save you money.
Consider any of these cheap coffee grinders if you are itching to enhance your coffee experience home, but you are not precisely in a place to drip more than $200 on a grinder—no matter how much you want to.
Also, be sure to check out “Ultimate Guide to Roasting Your Own Coffee” for a full tutorial on how to roast your beans at home.
Product Quick Compare
- Built-in adjustable grind selector with over 18 click settings ensures you have 100% precision control over the coarseness of your coffee beans.
- Convenient removeable hand crank mechanism consistently eliminates over 90% of the noise that electric grinders produce. No batteries, power, or long plastic cords needed to...
- Our patented ceramic combo burrs are design tested through three professional grade inspections to last 5x's longer than stainless steel blades.
1. JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder ($24)
Makes for a great present with how slim and cheap this coffee grinder is. Don’t let the size fool you, though; it is still possible to grind a variety of different settings with ease. It just takes a bit of labor.
Notable features: Ceramic combo burrs add to the quality of this grinder to ensure some fantastic quality.
2. Cuisinart DBM ($36)
We can appreciate this grinder for its price because of the convenience that comes with it being automatic. Only a select few cheaper grinders are good-quality and automatic. Notice that it is a burr grind, which is essential no matter how cheap the grinder is. Burr should always be chosen over blade grinders!
Notable features: The hopper holds half a pound of beans, with 18 different settings to choose from. Make anywhere from 4 to 18 cups. The silver exterior makes it one of the cutest coffee accessories out there.
- The 2. 5 ounce electric Coffee grinder is designed for grinding Coffee beans and milling spices.
- Stainless steel blade and stainless steel exterior. Durability and powerful performance.
- 200W DC motor insure you can grind Coffee beans, spices and lots kinds of nuts. Max 70g capacity can provide 12 cups coffee each grinding.
3. Secura Electric Burr Coffee Grinder Mill ($38)
From drip to Turkish coffee, this has you covered. It is described to “preserve the natural aroma of your coffee beans.” That’s what this search for cheap coffee grinders is all about.
Notable features: With all of those settings, it still produces a consistent grind based on the desired grind. Easy to clean, too! Make anywhere from 2 to 12 cups, with an instant stop option so that none of your precious beans go to waste.
- New and improved with reinforced hexagonal adapter for increased grind consistency and reduced wear.
- Ceramic mill is easily adjusted for right grind coarseness, providing a consistent grind for perfect, fresh coffee
- Small, lightweight and slim design makes for easy storage and travel; can be stored without handle
4. Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill – “mini-slim plus” ($40)
Resembling a beautiful salt and pepper shaker, this grinder is not just cheap but also an easy travel grinder! Not that most people need to be grinding things on the go very often, but it is nice to have the option, right? This and an AeroPress and you are all set for the tiniest traveling coffee shop. The size of it fits perfectly with the opening of the AeroPress.
Notable features: The small size provides up to two cups of storage for fresh grounds. The design of this is also somewhat of a workout within itself, because you manually grind the coffee. A finer grind is going to require some more work!
- Metallic flat burr coffee grinder for coffee lovers Power 110 W
- Burr mill system avoids overheating, preserves aroma and has grind fineness selector for a precise grinding
- The electric coffee grinder has 9 grind levels for a range of drip, cold brew, and pour over coffee grind
5. KRUPS GX5000 Burr Coffee Grinder ($47)
Although it only has nine main grind settings, it provides five intermediary options as well. It could be said that fewer options mean that it will do better at those few settings, but feel free to test out that theory for yourself. This grinder prides itself on being quick and efficient!
Notable features: The removable top burr makes for easy cleans, plus that 2 to 12 coffee cup options are perfect for whatever type of morning that you are having.
Learn to clean these grinders to last you longer in “How to Clean a Coffee Grinder With Ease“.
6. Brim Conical Burr Coffee Grinder ($75)
A great medium in our price range, with a lot of scope with what it grinds. It can even grind well for an espresso shot, which can be hard for some machines to do. The more compact size will fit in any kitchen. This grinder does it all without making too much noise either, which is always appreciated early in the morning.
Notable features: Grind up to 85 grams of coffee, all in the compact, sleek look of this grinder. An excellent option for a home of one or two coffee drinkers.
- PRECISION GRINDING: Commercial-grade, solid steel conical burrs with advanced cutting design
- WIDE GRINDING RANGE: From ultrafine Turkish to French Press coarse and everything in between
- PRESERVES AROMA: Gear reduction motor grinds slow with reduced noise and little static build-up
7. Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder (Price $86)
Slow and steady wins the race with this grinder. It boasts a slower grind to have the most precise grind. This also prevents too much heat build-up, which may make it lose any of the flavors created from the grind of the coffee bean.
Notable features: Make sure that the parts are correctly in place before turning it on because it will start grinding as soon as you turn it on. From there a timer can be set for anywhere from 5 to 60 seconds.
- Durable 40 millimeter stainless steel conical burrs create uniform grounds for optimal flavor extraction
- 15 settings (plus Micro settings) let you adjust your grind to suit your taste
- One touch start timer keeps your last setting, just push to grind
8. OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder (Price $99)
Say you start every morning with your Chemex. You are the Chemex genius of your neighborhood. This grinder will allow you to find the perfect grind setting and leave it that way! Now we know with the coffee you will have to change it based on how the beans are grinding, but in general, this grinder will stay where you need it to. “Rise and grind” as they say.
Notable features: 40-millimeter stainless steel that holds up to .75 pounds of coffee. The grounder container can hold up to 110 grams, which is enough for twelve cups of coffee.
- What you get - pictopia Disney comes with 200 trivia cards, 6 answer cards, 30 wager cards, 1 game board, 6 movers, 1 die, and 1 instruction manual.
- Fun play experience - you can play a game of trivia in 25 minutes, and it's perfect for 2-6 players ages 7 and up, Which makes this a perfect gift for families who love to...
- Easy to understand instructions - high quality, Easy to understand instructions make it possible to start playing right away.
9. Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder (Price $139)
Baratza as a whole is an award-winning brand, with its pricier grinders ranking up most of the titles. Over the years they have proven that even their cheaper grinders are great. What catches our eye with this one, besides the price, is the forty grind settings. That’s the most extensive option we have seen yet.
Notable features: Cool and quiet, like most of the cheaper options. What put this a bit on the higher end of cheap coffee grinders is those forty grind settings and the cleanliness of the machine. Using a more well-known company like this also gives you reputable customer service, on the off chance that anything goes wrong!
Thanks for reading our piece on the nine best cheap coffee grinders to choose from if you are low on budget. Check out our Pinterest to see interactive videos and keep the curiosity going! If that keeps fueling your craving, check out your private Facebook group at Daily Coffee Talk. You never know what types of conversations will be had once a new grinder hits the market. You’ll be a pro in no time!
Check out “Best Coffee Grinders in 2019” for more options on the best coffee grinders to choose for your home.
Thanks for learning with us today! This post is sponsored by AmazonFresh! Enjoy unlimited grocery shipping for only $14.99/mo! Sign up for a FREE trial here— exclusively for our Coffee Sesh Community.
We’ll brew ya later! ☕️